There are many tasty and convenient vegan bacon alternatives you can buy at the store. However, nothing beats the satisfaction (and rich flavor) of making your own homemade bacon. In this particular recipe, portobello mushrooms are sliced, marinated in a savory tamari-maple mixture, and topped with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and pepper. The result is a deliciously smoky and umami bacon that is perfect for BLTs, topping salads, and stacking on burgers.
Crispy Chewy Portobello Bacon [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy Chewy Portobello Bacon [Vegan]
- 1 Portobello mushroom, stump and gills removed, and sliced into 1/8-inch thin slices
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A few pinches of cracked black pepper
How to Prepare Crispy Chewy Portobello Bacon [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place mushroom strips in a shallow dish. Add the marinade ingredients to a jar with a lid and shake to combine. Pour over the sliced mushrooms and tilt the dish to distribute the marinade over all the strips. Marinate for 15 minutes or up to a few hours if you have time.
- Place the strip on the prepared pan, leaving a little room between each one. Sprinkle on a little extra pepper, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes, flip carefully, and continue baking for about 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on pan while you prepare the sandwiches.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 99 | Total Carbs: 19 g | Total Fat: 0 g | Total Protein: 6 g | Total Sodium: 1882 g | Total Sugar: 12 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.