Baked to golden brown perfection. This is a dessert and for some, this is breakfast. So don't feel guilty if you want a slice or two in the morning- embrace it! Or you can call it a coffee cake inspired pie, if that makes you feel better. The beet sugar crystallizes into the crumble and makes for a pretty great topping. If you are intimidated about making your own pie, crust don't be. This one is super simple as it doesn't involve any pre chilling and rolling. Just dump and press. The crust is par baked to ensure it cooks all the way through.
Blueberry Crumble Pie With Shortbread Crust [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup coconut oil at room temperature
- 1/2 cup beet sugar
- 1 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax plus 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the Filling:
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup date sugar
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
For the Crumble:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beet sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
For the Toppings (optional):
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat together coconut oil and beet sugar, add flax eggs, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Add flours and baking powder, mix until a crumbly mixture forms. Dump shortbread mix into a greased pie pan and press the dough with your fingers or back of the spoon covering the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Par Bake the crust for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a mixing bowl add blueberries, date sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir to combine and dump the blueberries into the pan.
- In the same mixing bowl you used for the blueberries, add oats, flour, beet sugar, lemon juice and vegan butter or coconut oil. With a pastry cutter or fork, work in the coconut oil or butter until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the blueberry mixture.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the topping edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool prior to cutting and serve.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream or coconut whipped topping.