This yummy side dish (or plant-tastic main!) was an attempt to take advantage of the beautiful CSA produce we get this time of year. As far as side dishes go, it's about as nutritiously dense as you get: the broccoli - always a favorite in the green veggie category - provides a ton of fiber, Vitamins C and K, folate and calcium. The pistachios are a great source of potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B6 and folate, while the onions, mushrooms and garlic are powerful anti-cancer machines.
Nutrient-Dense Blanched Broccoli With Fresh Herbs and Pistachios [Vegan]
- 1 head broccoli cut lengthwise and halved, stems included*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped (stems removed)
- 1/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- handful of mint leaves
- handful of basil leaves
- sea salt to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add broccoli and set a timer for 3 minutes. In the meantime, prepare a colander in the sink alongside a large bowl of ice water. When timer goes off, drain broccoli and immediately transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking process. Alternatively, you can skip the ice water and leave the broccoli in the colander -- just turn the cold water on to run over it. (The ice bath is just more eco-friendly.) Set broccoli aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 30 seconds. Add onions, cooking for about 2 minutes more. At this point, drain your broccoli.
- Add mushrooms. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When mushrooms have softened and onions are translucent, add in pistachios, stirring to combine. Allow to cook together 1 minute.
- Add fresh herbs and cook 2 minutes more, until mint and basil are just a little crispy. Remove skillet from heat.
- Transfer broccoli to a serving platter, spoon sautee mixture over the top and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. I used a few generous pinches of flake salt spread evenly across the top. Serve!