These cookie sandwiches are guaranteed to dethrone store-bought versions as your favorite sweet. Rather than thin, crisp cookies, this recipe uses pillowy soft ones as the vessel for the tangy, not-overly-sweet cream cheese icing. They come together quickly and require little baking time!
Better-Than-Oreos With Cream Cheese Icing [Vegan]
For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 container vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Tiny dash of vanilla extract
To Make the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Mix vegan cream cheese with powdered sugar. Taste to see if it’s sweet enough, add more powdered sugar if you want. Vanilla extract is optional.
- Put filling in a piping bag or sandwich bag. Place bag in refrigerator until cookies are completely cooled.
To Make the Cookies:
- Cream the vegan butter and sugar together.
- Mix in almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl then add to the everything else. Mix well. The mixture will seem dry or super thick but keep going.
- Roll large pieces of dough and place on a cookie sheet. I rolled 10 balls and used 2 cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool then place in refrigerator until completely cool. Pipe vegan cream cheese filling between two cookies.
- Chocolate Cookie