Keep warm this winter with a hearty cup of this beefless beef stew. It's a vegan take on the traditional dish that's so good you'll never know it's meat-free. Throw some mushrooms into the mix to add a little variance to the root vegetable texture.
Beefless Beef Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon flour (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags vegan beefless tips (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup peas
- Place 1/2 cup flour and salt and pepper into bowl. Stir to mix. Add beefless tips and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over low-medium heat in Dutch oven or soup pot and add 1/4 of flour-coated beef tips. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining beef tips and set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan and heat; add onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add vinegar to pan and cook over medium heat, scraping pan with a wooden spoon to loosen beef remains. Add broth, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes, thyme and 1 tablespoon flour. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add peas and cook for 5 more minutes or until all vegetables are soft.