This recipe for BBQ Brussels sprouts will make even the pickiest eaters believe in the awesome flavors and texture of Brussels sprouts. These oven-roasted sprouts come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and then they're tossed in a sweet, smoky BBQ sauce that perfectly complements their naturally earthy flavor. These bbq brussels sprouts are a delicious way to get kids to eat more vegetables, but adults will love them too!
BBQ Brussels Sprouts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil as needed
- Sea salt as needed
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Sriracha
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 cup water
To Make the BBQ Sauce:
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, in oil, on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté the mixture for another minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients to the pan, whisk everything to combine, and cook the mixture for about 30 minutes, uncovered, over low heat. Stir occasionally and make sure it doesn't burn.
- For more tanginess, add additional apple cider vinegar, for more sweetness add more brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
To Make the Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and set a rack on the very top.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by cutting off the base of each sprout, slicing them in half from top to bottom, and remove the excess or loose exterior leaves.
- Soak the cut Brussels sprouts for a minute in water to clean them.
- Drain and spread the Brussels sprouts out on a paper towel to dry while the oven is preheating.
- Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with foil (this makes cleaning it easier later on) and spread the Brussels sprouts out on the pan.
- Generously drizzle the Brussels sprouts with the oil and sprinkle them with kosher salt.
- Stir them with your hands to ensure Brussels sprouts are all well-oiled and salted.
- Place them in the oven on the top rack for 50-60 minutes (while they are baking, make BBQ sauce). Rotate them midway through and remove extra crispy pieces.
- Remove the Brussels sprouts from the oven after 50-60 minutes, once all Brussels sprouts are nice and crispy.
- Place them in a bowl and toss them with some of the reduced sauce. Do this a little at a time as you don’t want the Brussels sprouts to be soaked in the sauce so they retain their crispy texture. You may have a little leftover sauce.