This soup is simply delicious. It’s filling, creamy, heartwarming, and flavorful. Roasting the butternut squash adds a lovely aroma and the chickpeas and pumpkin seeds are a crunchy bonus. Packed with quinoa and chickpeas, this soup can stand alone as a meal with bread one the side.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Quinoa and Roasted Chickpeas [Vegan]
For the Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 pinch of sea salt, pepper, turmeric, or any other spice you like
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Soup:
- 1.7 pounds butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch of sea salt, pepper, chili, turmeric, and thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups red quinoa
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons roasted chickpeas
- Pumpkin seed oil
To Make the Roasted Chickpea:
- Melt the coconut oil. Drain the chickpeas and combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Stir until the chickpeas are well coated.
- Roast the chickpeas in the oven at 390°F for about 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn them by shaking the baking sheet.
To Make the Soup:
- Peel and dice the butternut squash into chunks, peel and quarter the onion, and peel the garlic. Put on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and season generously. Roast in the oven at 390°F for 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring water to a boil and prepare the quinoa as instructed on the package.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a pot, add the vegetable broth and coconut milk and blend everything. Heat everything up and add spices if needed.
- Fill into bowls, add the quinoa, roasted chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds, and drizzle with pumpkin seed oil if desired.