Pumpkin may be synonymous with fall, but its oblong cousin, butternut squash, makes an amazing addition to all your fall baking needs, too! This delicious pie has a delicate sweetness that is subtle when served on the same day it's been baked and sweeter when it's been refrigerated for a day. It's incredibly creamy with a warm blend of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, plus creamy swirls on top for presentation. Whether you're in the mood for fall baking or getting ready for the holidays, this pie will be a stand-out dessert.
Butternut Squash Swirl Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Butternut Squash Swirl Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oat bran
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon carob powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thick butternut squash purée (see notes)
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups thick butternut squash purée
- 1 heaped teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of nutmeg and cardamom
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oat bran, ground (see notes)
- A big pinch of Himalayan salt
For the Swirl:
- 1 tablespoon butternut squash purée from the filling
- 1/4 ounces silken tofu
How to Prepare Butternut Squash Swirl Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make sure your walnuts are at room temperature. In a food processor, process walnuts with Himalayan salt until fine crumbs form.
- Add oat bran and process until the oils from walnuts start to separate and the batter begins to stick. It may take up to a few minutes, scraping the sides from time to time.
- Add carob and butternut squash purée and process again until homogeneous batter forms.
- Line a 6-inch springform cake tin with parchment paper. Press the crust into the tin with your hands (wet your hands if it sticks) and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
To Make the Filling and Swirls:
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Cube your butternut squash, then spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Purée the oven-baked butternut squash using an immersion blender. Measure out 2 cups for the pie.Add spices and blend well.
- Separate 1 tablespoon of the batter for swirls and whip it together with silken tofu. Set aside.
- Add oat bran to the pie filling and mix or blend well.
- Pour the filling onto the baked crust and even it out with a spoon.
- Add dots or stripes of the tofu mix onto the pie and create your swirls.
- Cover the tin with foil and bake for 20 minutes in. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the round tin and let the pie cool down a bit, then transfer it to a cooling rack. Let it completely cool down before eating. Even better, if you can place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour after it’s cooled down. The cooler it is, the better and sweeter the taste.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Butternut Squash
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 96 | Carbs: 12 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 0 mg | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.