At first glance, this lasagna may seem like any typical Italian dish, but upon closer inspection, you will be amazed at how many nourishing ingredients are actually hidden by tomato sauce and tucked under pasta sheets. This lasagna has tender asparagus spears, juicy mushrooms, and a layer of creamy walnut cheese! Baked with a layer of vegan Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, the end result is a comforting entrée of cheesy goodness.
Asparagus and Mushroom Lasagna [Vegan]
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 9 ounces Chestnut mushrooms
- 1 box of lasagna sheets
- Pasta sauce of your choice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls of grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- Soak walnuts in water for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Place drained walnut in a blender and pulse to a paste with 1/2 cup of water, lemon juices, and 2 garlic cloves.
- Transfer to a bowl. Blend in nutritional yeast, chopped parsley leaves, and nutmeg. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Heat some salted water in a pan.
- Trim asparagus by bending each spear until the tougher end snaps off. Discard woody ends. Chop spears in 1-inch segments.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until just cooked. Rinse under cold water. Drain and reserve for later.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan with 1 crushed garlic clove. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 10 mins until soft and golden. Remove from heat. Add asparagus to mushrooms and season to taste.
- To assemble the lasagna, spoon some tomato sauce at the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Add one layer of lasagna sheets on top. Spread half of walnut "cheese" on top of lasagna sheets followed by half of the vegetables. Spoon some tomato sauce on top.
- Repeat previous step.
- Add one last layer of lasagna sheet to finish off. Spoon some tomato sauce to evenly cover the top of the lasagna. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until the lasagna feels soft and cooked when pierced with a knife.
- Slice and serve.