A summer marinara sauce, with hints of spices and herbs, finished in just twenty minutes.
20-Minute Homestyle Marinara [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for 20-Minute Homestyle Marinara [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 6 pods of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red or white onion, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 10 medium sized ripe red tomatoes (about 3 pounds), coarsely chopped (you can use a food processor for this if you wish)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 11/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup freshly chopped herbs (such as oregano, thyme and parsley)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
How to Prepare 20-Minute Homestyle Marinara [Vegan]
- Heat the oil and add in the cumin, black pepper and the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the onion and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion softens and begins to turn pale golden.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt and sugar and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes soften and begin to thicken. When stirring, break down the tomatoes with a back of a spoon.
- Add in the herbs and the red pepper flakes and lower the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes until the mixture is much thicker and relatively thick.
- You can serve with pasta or cool slightly and blend until smooth and then serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.