Sweet and savory flavors are perfectly paired inside tender roasted acorn squash halves. The cinnamon and nutmeg add a great flavor to the squash, pear and persimmon and the texture from the bread and crunchy vegetables bring this dish together. It strikes the perfect balance of spices, textures, and it looks amazing on any fall table.
Asian Pear and Persimmon Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Asian Pear and Persimmon Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup small cubes of day old sourdough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium persimmon, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium Asian pear, cut into small chunks
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Roasted and peeled chestnuts (optional)
How to Prepare Asian Pear and Persimmon Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds. Spray or run with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Place face down on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes, or until tender. You should be able to through the skin easily with a fork.
- In the last 5 minutes of roasting the squash, add the bread cubes to the same pan (if you have room) in a single layer and toast for 5-7 minutes. Otherwise, wait until squash is done and place bread cubes on the same pan.
- While the squash is roasting, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add persimmon and pear and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, including the toasted bread cubes and cover. Cook for another 7-10, until the fruit is soft, but the vegetables and bread are still a bit crisp. Stuff acorn halves with mixture and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.