I usually try be healthy in my food choices and recipes, but this treat is too divine to count calories over! Ice-cream floats were one of my favorites back in the day. I may have grown up in the meantime and gone off of soft drinks, but I still sometimes get a craving for the amazing mix of fizzy stuff with ice-cream on top, so here’s a vegan version that may just rock your socks off!
Rooibos Tea and Homemade Ice-Cream Float [Vegan]
- Brine from 1 - 400g can of chickpeas (aquafaba), chilled
- 1 cup castor sugar (or powdered sugar (not sweetener!) of choice) – check to see if vegan friendly or blend down vegan sugar to a fine powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 TBSP barley malt extract powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 pods)
- 1.5 cups meringue mix
- 2 medium persimmons
- 1/4 + 1 TBSP cup carrot purée
- 2 tsp ginger spice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 Rooibos teabags (or tea of choice)
- 1/3 + 2 TBSP fine sugar
- 1 tsp lemon flavoring
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- Sparkling water
- In a large metal bowl with an electric hand mixer or a standing mixer with balloon whisk, whisk the brine for approximately 5 – 6 minutes until it forms a thickish white foam, almost triple the original size. It may still gloop slightly off the beaters, that’s fine.
- Add the cream of tartar and barley powder and beat until it starts to form nice peaks.
- Add the castor sugar 1/4 cup at a time and beat on high until it is thick and forms stiff peaks – you should be able to shake your beater and not have anything come off; the mixture will also *feel* thick if you use handheld. Make sure that if you’re beating by hand you move the bowl around so that everything is incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla and beat back into super stiff peaks.
- Blend your persimmons, purée and spices until smooth.
- Pulse in the meringue mix, then place in your ice-cream maker and go according to instructions OR place it in a freezer-safe tupperware and stir every half hour.
- Meanwhile, bring the syrup ingredients to the boil whilst stirring sugar to dissolve, then let it simmer over low heat for approx 10 minutes until it thickens and reduces.
- Once your ice-cream and syrup are done pour sparkling water into your cups up to 3/4 full each and stir in 3 tsp of the syrup in each glass and stir vigorously until mixed.
- Place a scoop of ice-cream on top and drizzle with more syrup if desired. Serve with a long spoon and straw.
- Tea Infused