If you’re looking for the perfect fall lunch or dinner concept or even an effortless small bite for entertaining, this autumnal flatbread pizza is the way to go! A crispy flatbread pizza is topped with a cornucopia of fall produce — roasted butternut squash, shaved Brussels sprouts, Shiitake mushroom bacon, and dried cranberries and then finished off with a balsamic glaze and vegan cheese.
Balsamic Butternut and Brussels Sprouts Flatbread Pizza [Vegan]
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 8-ounce package of Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Pizza:
- 1 premade pizza dough
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 1 cup shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1 large bunch fresh sage
For the Balsamic Glaze:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms halfway through cooking time. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard.
To Make the Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cinnamon, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the butternut squash out in a single layer on one or two baking sheets. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over and toss well to coat. Roast until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring it halfway through. Remove and set aside.
- Defrost the dough and lay out on a lightly floured counter. Use your hands or a rolling pin to roll the dough out until you have a thin flattened disk. Place the pizza on a greased baking sheet and then use your hands to gently tug, pull and push the pizza dough into your desired shape.
- Coat the dough with olive oil mixture. Add the roasted butternut squash, shredded kale and Brussels sprouts, and vegan Parmesan. Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and dough is slightly browned. Remove from the oven and top with sage, Shiitake bacon, cranberries, and balsamic glaze.
To Make the Balsamic Glaze:
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan over medium/high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook for 1 minutes on high, Let it bubble, then reduce to a simmer will thicken, and set aside.