There's nothing better than a creamy, luscious pasta dish for lunch or dinner when you're just craving some carby goodness. That's not to say that it has to be totally unhealthy for you, though! Filled with butternut squash, hearty shiitake mushrooms and a thick non-dairy cream to give it body, this will fill you up with nutrients as well as flavor. What are you waiting for? Dig in!
Artichoke and Shiitake Pasta With Butternut Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/2 to 1 pound shiitakes, chopped (adjust amount to how mushroomy you want it)
- 1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
- Butternut Squash Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
- Cashew Cream (see recipe below)
- 1 pound Rigatonis
- Basil, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- The zest of about half a lemon
- The juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 leek
- Pinch salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- About 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 bunch chives
- Boil the rigatonis according to package directions.
- Dice the onion and clean and slice the leek. Water sauté the onion and leek in a soup pot. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- When the onions and leeks are translucent and smell great, press the garlic and add to the pot. Sauté for a minute or so until the garlic smells great too.
- Pass the tomatoes through a food mill and then add the tomatoes to the pot. Add 2 cups of water to the pot. Season with another pinch of salt and cook over a medium flame for about 10 minutes, reducing the water significantly.
- Peel and dice the squash into small cubes. Add to the pan and cook until the squash is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot and add more water or stock if the sauce seems to dry or if too wet, let it cook a little longer.
- Finely chop the chives and mix them in.
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix. Soak the cashews if you don’t have a Vitamix. Let it rip until super smooth.
- Place the shitakes in a nonstick skillet. Cook on medium heat until the shitakes begin to sweat and smell good. Add the artichoke hearts and a bit of tomato sauce and cashew cream. When it looks nice and creamy, adding more of either if necessary until you reach the desired consistency, lower the heat.
- Add the pasta and toss well. Garnish with basil. Enjoy!