This chocolate cake is so decadent and delicious you would never guess that it's flourless! Well, free from all-purpose flour, that is. The sponge in this cake is made from almond flour, dates, raw cacao powder, coconut oil, almond milk, and flax. The layers are then slathered with a velvety smooth cashew-caramel cream and stacked on top of each other. Moist, fluffy, and scrumptious, this is a wonderful cake to make for a special occasion.
Almond Flour Chocolate Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup whole almonds or almond flour
- 2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter (unsweetened and no added oil)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan chocolate chips
For the Cashew-Caramel Layer:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (or overnight)
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- A pinch of sea salt
To Make the Chocolate Layer:
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- Place almonds in a processor or high-speed blender and process into a flour-like consistency (skip this step if you already have almond flour).
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor (except the chocolate chips) and process until a smooth dough forms, about five minutes.
- Add chocolate chips to the dough and mix by hand.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Scoop out the dough and place it on the parchment paper forming three separate balls. Then, with damps fingers, press down on each ball to form three large cookies, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
To Make the Cashew-Caramel Filling:
- Rinse and drain soaked cashews.
- Process all ingredients until a smooth dough forms, about 5-10 minutes.
To Form the Cake:
- Place one large chocolate cookie on a flat tray and then spread one-third of the filling on top.
- Repeat process with the rest of the cookies and filling until you end up with a layer cake.
- Refrigerate for 3 days or freeze for up to a month. Thaw cake 2 hours before serving.