Have you been craving those irresistible melt-in-your-mouth flaky layers of pastries since going vegan? If so, you’re in luck! It is 100 percent possible to recreate freshly baked pastries without using dairy! Typical flaky pastry recipes are loaded with butter, but you can still achieve that texture using all plant-based ingredients!
What Is Puff Pastry
Puff pastry, also known as pâte feuilletée is what makes your favorite pastries light, fluffy, and flaky. While sheets of puff pastry can be bought at the store, once you make your own from scratch, you’ll never want to stop. Puff pastry is typically made from lots of thin layers of butter between lots of layers of dough. Once baked in the oven, the dough puffs up and gets nice and golden and crispy. While this process takes a little time and elbow grease, it will all be worth it when you take that first bite and instantly get transported to a cafe in Paris!
Essential Vegan Substitutions
Homemade vegan puff pastry only requires four basic ingredients:
- Vegan butter or margarine
- All-purpose flour
How To Make Vegan Puff Pastry
This recipe for vegan puff pastry dough from scratch by From the Comfort of My Bowl features an easy “cheat” method to create those irresistible flaky layers.
How to Make Vegan Butter
Looking to avoid palm oil and create delicious spreadable vegan butter? This delicious spread will have you convinced you never need to buy your butter at the store again.
How to Make Palm Oil-Free Puff Pastry
Turns out, coconut oil is perfect for replacing butter in a quick vegan puff pastry. (Plus, it’s not full of palm oil like most commercial vegan butter spreads, which makes it friendlier to the environment.)
Easy Banana and Nutella Puff Pastries
These Easy Banana and Nutella Puff Pastries by Holly Jade are most definitely a treat you won’t want to miss making. With only three ingredients, they are easily accessible. Who wouldn’t want a pastry parcel filled with hazelnut chocolate spread with slices of banana?
Apricot Puff Pastry Poptarts
Source: Apricot Puff Pastry Poptarts
These are not your usual pop-tarts, but who says all pop-tarts have to be the same? A delicious gluten-free puff pastry with a filling of apricot jam, topped with lemon drizzle, chopped almonds, and grated dairy-free white chocolate. You are going to love these Apricot Puff Pastry Poptarts by Holly Jade!
Source: Chocolate-Filled Croissants
These Chocolate-Filled Croissants by Abby Thompson are the best croissants you’ll ever have, all thanks to coconut oil! When baked, the dough becomes so light and flaky, and the chocolate becomes melty. You won’t be able to resist trying one of these fresh out of the oven.
- 15 Sweet and Savory Vegan Pastry Dough Recipes!
- 12 Sweet and Savory Vegan Puff Pastry Recipes for the Holidays!
- 15 Eggless Dairy-Free Puff Pastries!
- 12 Fruity Dairy-Free Pastries to Enjoy with a Cup of Tea and Good Company
- 10 Plant-Based Pastries for your Holiday Party
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.