The world loves potatoes. There seems to be no end to all the wonderful things that we can make with potatoes. Not only are potatoes a staple in diets around the world and one of the best types of comfort food, but it turns out you can also make milk with potatoes. Yes, you read that right!
What Is Potato Milk?
Potato milk is exactly how it sounds. It’s a creamy, dairy-free milk-like beverage made from potatoes. It works just like any other milk on the market and just happens to be the most sustainable option. It only requires a few ingredients and can easily be made at home.
Is it Healthy?
Source: The Doctors/Youtube
Besides potatoes being one of the world’s most sustainable foods, they are also packed full of nutrients, which come through in the milk. Nutritionist Keri Glassman shares why potatoes get a bad rap! She shares most people eat them in an unhealthy form, but they can be good for you. Keri shares that Sweden has created potato milk, which is more environmentally friendly than most non-dairy milk.
Potatoes contain almost all the nutrients that we need to thrive, and they consist of a perfect mix of protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and carbohydrates.
How Sustainable is Potato Milk?
With environmental concerns that are becoming more and more urgent and the obvious animal welfare concerns, it is more important than ever to find more sustainable options. That includes finding more sustainability in the plant-based milk market. It turns out that potato milk is much more sustainable compared to soybeans, almonds, oats, and dairy milk. According to DUG, a Swedish brand to launch the very first potato milk on the market, “Potatoes can be cultivated anywhere, they don’t need much in the way of special growing accommodations, they’re twice as land efficient compared to oats, they have a very low carbon footprint (75% lower compared to dairy milk), and use 56 times less water compared to almonds.”
How To Make Potato Milk At Home
Source: The Green Creator/Youtube
Potato milk is a new plant-based milk option. With only a few ingredients, you can make a good batch of surprisingly rich and creamy plant-based potato milk. It’s also a super sustainable plant-based milk!
DUG Potato Milk
British retailer Waitrose has officially announced that it will begin to sell Dug plant-based milk, a Swedish milk brand made out of potatoes. This is the latest of the most unique plant milk to hit the market as the demand for more vegan options continues to soar. DUG potato milk is an emulsion of potatoes and rapeseed oil that binds the milk together to create a creamy milk-like consistency. The plant-based milk brand officially has three potato milk options for consumers to try. This includes Dug Original, Dug Barista, and Dug Unsweetened. Each has its unique qualities that make them stand out from the crowd. DUG is not yet available to ship to the United States, but you can find it on Amazon.
This just goes to show you that not only are consumers across the globe ditching dairy but also that we have a broad range of possibilities for substitutes. Whether you’re allergic to soy, nuts, or coconut, there are still non-dairy kinds of milk out there for you.
Make Plant Milk at Home:
- Simple Vanilla Oat Milk [Vegan]
- Almond Milk [Vegan]
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cashew Milk [Vegan]
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Milkshake [Vegan]
- Coconut Milkshakes and Cookies [Vegan]
- Petition: Tell Starbucks to Stop Upcharging on Its Milk Alternatives
- 10 Delicious Non-Dairy Milk Alternative Recipes to Help You Ditch Dairy!
- Silk Launches Half and Half Dairy Alternative Made with Oat Milk
- Fewer Than 1 Out of 10 Americans Confuse Dairy Alternatives for Cow’s Milk – Can We Please End the Labeling Debate Now?
- See Ya, Cow’s Milk! Global Dairy Alternatives Market Set to Hit $34 Billion Mark by 2024
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!