Making your own almond milk is quick and easy. You just have to grind almonds in a blender filled with water. You then filter the mixture through a nut bag or cheesecloth. That’s it!
Almond Milk [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw almonds with skin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Sweetener of choice (option): 1 tablespoon maple syrup or one fresh medjool date, pitted and softened in hot water (discard water after)
- A dash of pure vanilla (option)
- Soak almonds in boiled water for 2 hours. Alternatively, for a quick soak, put the almonds in a small microwaveable bowl and cover them with water. Put a lid on and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- In a sieve, drain the water from the softened almonds. Rinse and cool them under cold running tap water.
- If you’re using one or two dates, remove the pits and soak dates in hot water for a few minutes to soften them. Discard water.
- Add the almonds, water, maple syrup or date(s) and vanilla in your high-speed blender bowl.
- Blend increasing to high speed for a good 3-4 minutes.
- On top of a bowl, use a nut bag to filter the almond pulp and squeeze out the milk with clean hands.
- Transfer the milk to a glass bottle with a lid. Can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Freeze leftover almond pulp in a covered container and use it for making breads, cakes, cookies or muffins.