Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Every Sunday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up!
Here you’ll find different categories of news and links to each article published during the week! Enjoy!
Animal rights and Welfare News
As always, we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included:
- TSA Agents Find Cat in Passenger’s Carry-On at X-Ray Checkpoint
- Finally! HelloFresh Will Stop Sourcing Coconuts From Thailand Over Animal Cruelty Concerns
- Kiska, The ‘World’s Loneliest’ Orca Dies in Theme Park in Canada
- Siberian Tigers Hunt and Capture Drone Out of The Air
- Cocaine Cat: Wild Cat in Cincinnati Found with Cocaine in its System
- Bipartisan Bill Introduced to Place Laboratory Animals into Forever Homes
- Kartiki Gonzalves Wins Best Documentary Short Film Oscar for Elephant Whisperers
- Adorable Dog Ignored During Training Despite Excellent Good Boy Behavior
- Pentagon Funds Experiments on Ferrets to Recreate Havana Syndrome
- Heartbreaking: This is What Years of Tourist Rides Do To an Elephant
- Reddit User Gives 6 Reasons Vegans Have a Moral Obligation to Donate Toward Ending Animal Exploitation
- Four Guinea Pigs Dumped Outside Farm Sanctuary in Box
- Vegan Dungeons and Dragons: How One Student is Using Gaming to Promote Animal Rights
- This Woman’s Cats Sleep in Plastic Bags
- Rescuers Free Adorable Raccoon From Peanut Butter Jar in Heartwarming Rescue
- Animal Rights Activists Stop Man Who Said He’d Adopt Cats and Torture Them in Livestream
- Feds Subpoena USDA Over Criminal Investigation into Animal Research Breeder
- California Lifeguard Rescues Tiny Pup Who Was Swimming Out to Sea
- How Human Empathy Can Help Us Understand Animal Sounds
- Discover the Wildlife in Your Backyard with the WildTracker Project
- First Cage Free Animal Shelter Opens in the United States
- New PETA Exhibit Exposes Violent History of Animal Experiments
- Shelter Pup Reunited With Sister After DNA Test
Earth and Environmental News
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included:
- Denmark Becomes First Country to Import CO2 and Bury it Under the Sea
- Biden Administration Approves Willow Oil Drilling Project in Alaska, Sparking Climate Advocacy Uprising
- Starbucks’ New Eco-Friendly Cups Are All Made From Recycled Materials
- Nitrate in Tap and Bottled Drinking Water May Be Linked to Prostate Cancer
- Biden Administration Proposes New Rule to Limit Toxic Water Pollution from Coal Power Plants
- Universal Filmed Entertainment Group Launches GreenerLight Sustainability Program to Make More Planet-Friendly Movies
- New Study Says They Found a Way to Suck CO2 from the Atmosphere
- From Harsh Conditions to Eco-Friendly: How Bangladesh’s Garment Factories are Going Green
- Breathless in India: The Need for Collective Action Against Air Pollution Crisis
- Strap In! Climate Change is Making Plane Turbulence Worse
- Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Hosts Bloomberg Eco Series ‘An Optimist’s Guide To The Planet’
- Air Pollution Could Speed Up Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women
- Reusable Water Bottles Hold More Bacteria Than a Toilet Seat, New Study Finds
- EPA Proposes First-Ever National Drinking Water Standard for Forever Chemicals
- Earth Map App: Empowering Everyday Climate Warriors with Accessible Environmental Data
- Cow Dung: The Unsung Hero in the Future of Sustainable Materials
- The Hidden Cancer Risk in ‘Climate-Friendly’ Fuels
- The Truth About Deleting Emails and Your Carbon Footprint
- How Solar Panels Are Bringing Electricity to the Chinese Monk Boluo Temple
Plant-Based Food News
This week in food news, we had quite a few exciting stories!
- How 37-Year-Old Catherine Perez Switches Careers, Got Healthy and Became a Vegan Dietitian
- Konscious Foods Debuts Sustainable Plant-Based Seafood Lineup
- Reddit User Points Out Star Trek’s Surprising Pro-Vegan Message
- Emirates Palace Goes Vegan: A Luxurious Stay for Plant-Based Travelers in Abu Dhabi
- Pioneer PBS Will Launch Series Examining Plant-Based Proteins
- People With Diabetes Can Live Longer on Lower Carb, Plant-Based Diet, New Study Finds
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!