Get ready for a riveting new series that delves into the ever-growing plant-based protein movement! Pioneer PBS’s public affairs program, Compass, is partnering with West Central Tribune and WORLD Channel for a year-long video and print journalism collaboration project called “Minnesota’s Alt-Meat Revolution.” Funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the series aims to uncover the roots and impact of the plant-protein phenomenon taking the world by storm.
Over the next year, Pioneer PBS will produce six captivating stories exploring the effects of plant-based proteins on agriculture, culture, dietary trends, and the rural community of Dawson. Each video story will be accompanied by an article by Tom Cherveny of the West Central Tribune.
The first episode and article, set to launch on Friday, March 17, delves into the history of plant-based processing in Dawson. Soybean processing began in the area back in 1951 with the opening of the Tri-County Cooperative Soybean Processing Association. The facility underwent various changes, from Dawson Mills in 1969 to its current incarnation as PURIS, Inc., a manufacturer of yellow pea protein. This plant-based protein is found in various products, including the popular meat substitute, Beyond Meat.
Pioneer PBS’s Compass producer, Amanda Anderson, believes the story of plant-based proteins will continue to evolve for years to come. The series will capture a moment in time, connecting viewers to the people and communities responsible for the food on their plates.
“Minnesota’s Alt-Meat Revolution,” along with WHRO’s “Against the Current,” a series exploring the lives of rural residents adapting to the effects of Climate change in Virginia’s Eastern Shore, will be broadcast nationally and streamed under WORLD Channel’s “Local, USA” umbrella as “My Home is Here: Stories of Rural America.”
Compass, an award-winning, solutions journalism-centered Pioneer PBS series, covers current topics relevant to communities in Pioneer PBS’s viewing area. Established in 1966, Pioneer PBS is a viewer-supported television station that shares stories from rural Minnesota with the world.
So, get ready to explore the exciting world of plant-based proteins and the people behind them! Don’t forget to tune into “Minnesota’s Alt-Meat Revolution” and join the conversation about the future of food. The series promises to be both informative and inspiring, as we discover the power of plant-based alternatives and the potential they hold for a sustainable, healthy future. Don’t miss out—join the plant-powered revolution today!
- Microalgae: The Future of Food? Unlocking the Potential of the Tiny Powerhouses
- 6 Recent Developments in the Alternative Protein Industry
- Are Plant-Based Meat Alternatives Healthy? Should We Be Eating Them?
- Israeli Startup Uses Seeds to Make Meat Alternatives
- Taco Bell Testing Plant-Based Meat Alternative Made from Soy and Pea Protein
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.