Taco Bell is testing its own meat substitute made from soy and pea protein at restaurants in Birmingham, Alabama. The fast food chain plans to launch Beyond Meat later this year but is currently in the third trial of proprietary meat alternatives made by Yum Brands, their parent company. According to Taco Bell, the latest alternative is inspired by “classic Taco Bell flavors.”
This isn’t the first time that Taco Bell has tried out plant-based alternatives. Just last year, the company piloted a meat substitute made from peas and chickpeas along with a plant-based shell made from pea protein and breading.
Recently, Taco Bell announced a partnership with Beyond Meat, saying the product would be available before the end of the year. Yum signed a deal with Beyond last year to bring plant-based items to the menus for KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell, all brands which they operate.
Although the protein is certified vegan by the American Vegetarian Association (AVA), it’s important to note that some locations use the same frying oil to prepare animal products and meat alternatives.
Check out these plant-based meat alternatives you can make at home!
- Meatballs [Vegan]
- Braised Soy Meatballs [Vegan]
- How to Make Soy-Free Meat Crumbles [Vegan]
- Almond Taco Meat [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Walnut Taco Meat [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- Taco Bell Launching Meatless ‘Beef’ Taco in Spain!
- Taco Bell Launched a New Meatless Menu Today!
- Taco Bell Copycat Crispy Potato Soft Tacos [Vegan]
- Your Guide To Eating Vegan At Taco Bell
- Taco Bell Makes it Even Easier to Eat Plant-Based at Their Chains With New Vegan-Friendly Guide
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!