Ahh Taco Bell, that guilty pleasure of omnivores and vegetarians alike. As we all know, they have multiple vegetarian options and even a few for vegans who find themselves stuck on an interstate or in a food desert with few or no other options. This is a vegan version of the classic Crispy Potato Soft Taco! The potatoes are crisp (it would be false advertising in they weren’t!) and flavorful, but not spicy. The small amount of heat comes from the adobo cashew cream sauce (recipe below), and if you want to add more heat, this is where you should do it. The slivers of crispy lettuce are my nod to vegetables, and they add a beautiful splash of color. The ingredients list is fairly short, but it does contain a specialty sea salt: Spanish Rosemary. Instead of saying something goes together “like peas and carrots”, it should be “like roasted potatoes and Spanish rosemary sea salt.”
Taco Bell Copycat Crispy Potato Soft Tacos [Vegan]
- 1 medium/large potato, cubed into small bite-sized pieces (you want to be able to fit 2-3 into your mouth at once!)
- Olive oil
- Spanish rosemary sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 15 cashews
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon non-dairy creamer
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Crispy lettuce, shredded
- 4 soft taco shells
- Cilantro for sprinkling
- Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and dried parsley. Bake at 350 degrees until crispy (about 25 minutes, stirring once). Broil for the last minute or so if you want to add more crisp.
- In a blender, combine everything else (except the lettuce, cilantro and shells), and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the tacos, layer 1/4 of the potatoes, shredded lettuce and a heavy drizzle of the adobo cashew cream sauce, then sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!
- Potato Recipes