Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Every Sunday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up!
Here you’ll find different categories of news and links to each article published during the week! Enjoy!
Animal rights and Welfare News
Source: Ian Dyball/Shutterstock
As always, we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included:
- These Dogs Were Sold to Animal Testing But Now They Need Homes
- Woody Harrelson Posts Heartbreaking Reaction to Dog Being Shot by Cops
- Helen The Cow’s Joyful Journey at Uncle Neil’s Home Sanctuary
- Animals at Ukraine Zoo are Being Given Anti-Depressants to Treat Shell Shock
- Spain Bans ‘Dwarf Bullfighting’ Amid Controversy
- German Shepherd Rescued With Nothing But Her Favorite Toy
- ABC News Crew Rescues Trapped Dog Amidst Tornado Aftermath
- Jallikattu, a Bull-Taming Sport in India, Allowed To Continue Despite Criticism
- How a Man Helped a Captive Walrus Find a Better Life in Abu Dhabi
- New York’s Iconic Red-Tailed Hawk, Pale Male, Dies at 33
- Top L.A Chef Accused of Domestic Violence and Animal Cruelty
- Pup’s Hilarious ‘Love-Hate’ Relationship with Neighbors Goes Viral
- Hilarious Video of Sign to Stop Cats From Escaping Goes Viral
- Sweet Video Shows Man’s Way of Keeping Cat Occupied While He Plays Games
- Scientists Investigate Bears in Hibernation and Why They Don’t Develop Blood Clots
- Chihuahua’s Hilarious Bath Time Routine Goes Viral on TikTok
- UCLA Study Finds 65 Animal Species Laugh
- Letter Found That Shows Einstein Predicted Animals Had ‘Super Senses’
- Husky Hero Lands New Family After Shelter Shenanigans
- Dog Jumps Over Fence at Doggy Day Care and Has to Leave Because He is a Safety Issue’
- Aww! This Dachshund’s Favorite Thing is Warm Laundry
- Cat Named Mini Holding Other Cat CATptive Goes Viral on TikTok
- Donkey Cries Out For Her Stolen Foal After it Was Stolen From Animal Farm
- Watch this Golden Retriever Hilariously Interrupt a Zoom Call!
- Puppy Protector: Tiny Guard Dog’s Instant Transformation
- Cheetah Deaths Raise Concerns Over India’s Cheetah Reintroduction Program
- Orcas Have Sunk Three Boats in Europe and Seem to Be Teaching Others to Do The Same
- Massive Joro Spider Looks Scary but is The ‘Shyest’ Ever Documented, According to Scientists
- Resilient Kitten Recovery from Fire Pit Accident Warms Hearts on TikTok
- Golden Retriever’s Adorable Car Seat Bond With Toddler Melts Hearts on TikTok
- UK Government Bans Issuing of Licences for Animal Testing
- Coyote Family Found Living Under Lake Tahoe House
- Indy the Flirt: Rescue Dog’s Day at The Park Goes Viral
- Watch This Cute Bear Cub Attempt to Take Out The Trash
- Five Bernese Collies Dogs Seeking Home After Heartwarming Rescue
- TikTok Shows Us Just How Loyal Our Furry Friends Are
- Cat’s Hilarious Reaction To Family’s New Ceiling Fan
- Hilarious Cat Nap Causes ‘Rail Chaos’
- Watch this Viral Golden Retriever’s Adorable Vocal Warm-Up
- Two Neighbor Dogs Finally Get the Playdate They’ve Been Waiting For
- UK Extends Ivory Ban to Protect Hippos and More
Earth and Environmental News
Source: Jaromir Chalabala/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included:
- Experts Rushing to Explore Hawaii’s Permafrost Before it Vanishes Due to Climate Change
- Angelina Jolie’s Reveals Sustainable Fashion Venture
- Communities of Color Disproportionately Exposed to ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Drinking Water, New Study Finds
- Where in the U.S. is Climate Change Striking the Hardest?
- Wet Wipes: The Hidden Environmental Hazard in Your Home
- The Impact of Indoor Air Quality on Student Health and Learning
- The World’s Largest Lakes are Dramatically Shrinking, Scientists Say
- New York’s Skyscrapers Are Causing The City To Sink
- Understanding How Pesticides Are Used on Fruits and Vegetables
- Lawsuit Accuses Nike of Deceiving Customers About Sustainability Line
- Does Your University Profit From Fossil Fuels?
- Adidas’ New Vegan Sandals: EQT 93 SNDLs
- Spain Was 100% Powered on Renewables for a Whole Day
- France Bans Short-Haul Flights
- Ukraine’s Secret Weapon: Solar Panels
- California, Arizona and Nevada Reach Deal to Reduce Water Usage From the Colorado River
Plant-Based Food and Health News
Source: Dmytro Zinkevych/Shutterstock
This week in food news, we had quite a few exciting stories!
- Reddit User Questions Why People Ask Vegans if They Ever Make Exceptions
- Why Mold In Your Reusable Straw Might Not Be As Dangerous as You Think
- Health Department Wants New Yorkers to “Eat A Whole Lot More Plants”
- The Urgent Need for Medical Care for Adults with Down Syndrome
- Burger King’s Humorous Approach to Promoting Their Plant-Based Menu During “Confusing Times”
- How Healthy is Mineral Water? Experts Weigh In
- Understanding the Rising Death Toll in America’s Black Communities
- How Apples and Blackberries Can Prevent Frailty In Older Adults
- Viewing Food Images Online Could Curb Overeating, Study Finds
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!