Do you ever wonder if that bottle of mineral water is as beneficial as it claims to be? With numerous minerals touted as essential to our overall health, it’s no surprise that many of us are turning to mineral water as a key source of these vital nutrients. USA Today reached out to the experts to shed light on this very topic.
Dr Pedro R. Rodriguez Guggiari, an internal medicine specialist at Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, states that Minerals play indispensable roles in our overall health. From iodine, ensuring our thyroid functions optimally, and calcium fluoride maintains our bones and teeth to iron, magnesium, and potassium, facilitating healthy blood cells and muscle function, these tiny compounds are the unsung heroes of our bodily processes.
But what about mineral water? Is it an effective way to ingest these critical minerals? Dr David Nazarian, a board-certified internal medicine specialist, explains that mineral water, sourced from springs and underground reservoirs, varies in mineral content depending on its geographic origin. It can certainly supply trace amounts of calcium, magnesium, and potassium. However, Nazarian warns that more than relying on mineral water is needed. Despite having a higher mineral content than purified or filtered water, it lacks the comprehensive range of minerals our bodies require.
Now, let’s talk about vitamin water. It’s a given that the vitamins in these drinks are beneficial to our health, and the electrolytes they contain can indeed enhance physical performance and hydration. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention caution against the excessive intake of added sugars often found in these beverages, which can contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
So, while mineral water can contribute to your daily mineral intake, it should differ from a well-rounded, nutrient-rich diet. And as for vitamin water, enjoy it sparingly to avoid the pitfalls of added sugars. The quest for optimal health is ongoing, and understanding the role of minerals in our bodies is a crucial part of this journey.
- How To Make All-Natural Makeup Using Plants and Minerals [Video]
- The Pros and Cons of Filtered Water
- 7 Ways to Keep Your Garden Soil Rich in Minerals Naturally Without Buying Products!
- Surprising Health Benefits of Key Lime Water [Video]
- Does Coconut Water Help Improve Hangovers?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.