In a brilliant blend of humor and irony, fast-food giant Burger King is embracing “Confusing Times” to promote its plant-based menu. The international campaign, which launched in Spain and the United States in May 2023, has been artfully crafted by the DAVID Agency in Madrid.
The campaign centers around the theme of confusion to highlight Burger King’s plant-based offerings, such as the Plant-Based Nuggets, Long Chicken, and the Whopper Jr. It cleverly integrates this theme into various confusing real-life scenarios: Is an eco-friendly Black Friday purchase good for the environment or not? Should you delete a questionable text message or risk sending the wrong message by not deleting it? Is Max a suitable name for a dog or a boy?
A significant phase of the campaign, “A Little More Confusing Times,” has a unique twist as it is entirely narrated and performed by children under the direction of Oscar-nominated director Claudia Llosa. In one of these ads, a little girl expresses her confusion over the surprisingly realistic taste of Burger King’s plant-based options: “Are these nuggets really plant-based? Do I like veggies now?” she wonders.
Saulo Rocha, CCO at DAVID Madrid, expresses his excitement about exploring the boundless creative platform for Burger King’s plant-based category and products. He also acknowledges the challenge and thrill of interpreting confusion from a child’s perspective.
This innovative marketing campaign comes as Burger King responds to the growing trend of vegetarianism, veganism, and flexitarianism. The fast-food chain has introduced plant-based versions of popular menu items across various international outlets, including a 100% plant-based pop-up in Costa Rica, a Bristol Burger King outlet in the UK, and a completely vegan restaurant in Lisbon, Portugal. The company’s latest ventures include plant-based pop-ups launched in Nordic cities and most recently, Barcelona.
Sabrina Ferretti, Head of Burger King Marketing, describes the “Confusing Times” campaign as a return to the origins of Burger King’s foray into the plant-based segment. She cites the plant-based Whopper as the initial offering, followed by steady expansions like the plant-based Long Chicken and Nuggets in Colombia and a variety of plant-based sandwiches and nuggets in Europe.
The campaign’s next phase will kick-off in LATAM before being broadcast in international markets. It will run across print, film, and radio mediums, further cementing Burger King’s commitment to expanding its plant-based options and catering to a more diverse audience in these indeed confusing times.
Meatless meat has been rapidly expanding throughout the United States and across Europe. Companies like Dunkin Donuts and Burger King are offering meatless options to consumers. Beyond Meat and Impossible Burger are continuing to grow as they can be found in nearly every grocery store and many restaurants around the country.
Let’s not forget it’s a lot healthier to make burgers at home, here are some amazing resources for you:
- 15 Homemade Plant-Based Burgers You Must Make!
- 15 High-Protein Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 25 Plant-Based Sliders!
- Ultimate Guide to Vegan Sandwiches, Wraps, and Sliders!
- 15 Homemade Sandwiches and Spreads
- How to Make the Perfect Veggie Burger Patty: No More Falling Apart!
Speak Up Tee By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Burger King Announces Limited Edition Dirty Vegan Nuggets in Celebration of World Vegan Day
- Burger King Announces Plant-Based Chicken Sandwich Starring Impossible Chicken Patties
- Burger King Set to Open Fully Plant-Based Location in the UK
- Burger King Tests Out Impossible Foods Plant-Based Chicken Nuggets
- Burger King UK Starts Selling Vegan Nuggets
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!