Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In a world where cats and dogs dominate the realm of backyard pets, Rachele Clarke, a self-proclaimed animal lover, has a different vision. She advocates for the adoption of cows as companion animals through her role as CEO of the Australian nonprofit organization, Til The Cows Come Home.
Source: The Asher House/YouTube
With a mission to reduce the number of “unwanted, unviable, or waste-farmed animals” in Australia, Clarke and her team have successfully found homes for approximately 6,000 animals since the organization’s establishment in 2018. Despite the unconventional nature of adopting cows, Clarke passionately believes that these gentle creatures can make perfect and loving companions.
While numerous organizations focus on rescuing domestic pets, farm animals facing neglect, abuse, or abandonment often lack dedicated Support. Clarke points out that cows and other agricultural animals are frequently overlooked and considered “waste animals” by the industry. Her organization aims to change this perception and provide these animals with a chance at a better life.
Adopting a cow as a backyard pet comes with its own set of challenges. As herd animals, it is recommended that cows be adopted in pairs to ensure their well-being and happiness. Additionally, potential cow owners require sufficient land—typically a few acres—to accommodate these animals’ needs, which may pose limitations for those residing in urban areas. However, for those with suitable space, access to feed, and proper shelter, Clarke assures that the experience can be incredibly rewarding.
Til The Cows Come Home collaborates with various stakeholders to ensure the responsible adoption of cows. The Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) supports the movement as long as prospective cow owners demonstrate due diligence. Scott Young, VFF livestock president, emphasizes the importance of meeting cows’ specific welfare requirements, including adequate pasture, fencing, shelter, water, and registration for a Property Identification Code. The RSPCA Victoria echoes this sentiment, underscoring the need for thorough research before committing to livestock ownership.
Despite the challenges and considerations, adopting a cow through Til The Cows Come Home offers a unique and fulfilling experience. Clarke’s organization currently has over 300 animals available for adoption, and foster homes are available across Victoria, New South Wales, and Queensland. For individuals who meet the requirements and have the resources to provide a loving home, the opportunity to care for a cow can be both rewarding and life-changing.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Rescued Cows Get the Most Incredible Greeting From Their New Sanctuary Friends! [Video]
- This Mama Cow Was Ripped Away From Her Mom Within Days – Thanks to Rescuers, Her Calf Will Never Have to Know This Pain [Video]
- Helen The Cow’s Joyful Journey at Uncle Neil’s Home Sanctuary
- This Friendship Between a Rescued Cow and Pig Will Make Your Day [Video]
- Watch Touching Video of Rescued Cow Basking in the Sun With Human Friend to Smile Uncontrollably [Video]
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!