Source: Physicians Committee/YouTube
The study, published in the journal North American Menopause Society, found that a plant-based diet rich in soy is about as effective as hormone replacement therapy to reduce menopausal hot flashes, and it doesn’t have the associated health risks.
The Women’s Study for the Alleviation of Vasomotor Symptoms found that not only did a plant-based diet rich in soy reduce hot flashes by 88 percent, but it also helped women lose weight.
The study was the second phase of a two-part trial, the last of which was published in 2021. The first trial took place in the fall, so to confirm whether or not the symptomatic improvement was related to cooler temperatures, they conducted the second trial in the spring. They concluded that regardless of outside temperature, the diet had the same benefit.
“We do not fully understand yet why this combination works but it seems that these three elements are key—avoiding animal products, reducing fat, and adding a serving of soybeans,” explained lead researcher Neal Barnard, MD, president of the Physicians Committee and adjunct professor at the George Washington University School of Medicine. “Our results mirror the diets of places in the world, like pre-Westernized Japan and modern-day Yucatán Peninsula, where a low-fat, plant-based diet including soybeans is more prevalent and where postmenopausal women experience fewer symptoms.”
The study included 84 postmenopausal women who reported two or more hot flashes per day. They were assigned to either eat a low-fat, vegan diet, including half a cup of cooked soybeans daily or to a control group that made no diet changes for 12 weeks.
“This study demonstrates the effectiveness of a dietary intervention for menopausal symptoms,” Dr. Barnard explains. “As well, it is precisely the diet that would be expected to reduce the health concerns of many women reaching menopause: an increasing risk of heart disease, breast cancer, and memory problems.”
Plant-based eating is the way to go. If you’re looking to make the switch but don’t know where to start, we’ve got you covered. This is where the Food Monster App comes in! The app has 20,000 recipes, with more added daily. It makes eating plant-based so easy because there are so many options to choose from that you will be able to find something that appeals to you. Plus, you don’t even have to think about it – there’s no swapping out ingredients to veganize on your own. You can even search for different cuisines, types of food, dietary restrictions, and more to make your plant-based journey effortless. Check out some of the recipes below:
- Easy Bean Burritos
- Pad Thai with Tofu in Peanut Sauce
- Tempeh Bacon
- Lobster Mushroom Mac ’n’ Cheese
- Quick Veggie-Sushi
- Sunny-Side Up Fried ‘Egg’
- Vegan Carrot Lox Toast with Herbed Cheese
- Chicken and Waffles
- 15-Minute Tofu Scramble
- Seitan Steak With Peppercorn Sauce
- Savory Mushroom and Vegetable Ramen Soup
- Plant-Based Diet Linked To Reduced Risk of Breast Cancer in Postmenopausal Women, New Study Finds
- Study Links Plant-Based Diet With Fewer Medication Needs in Older Adults
- Urologists Study New Ways That Plant-Based Diets Can Impact Men’s Health
- Study Finds a Plant-Based Diet Rich in Tomatoes and Olive Oil Good for Heart Disease
- Plant-Based Diet Could Protect You From Covid, Per Study
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.