Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Jackson County Animal Shelter in Michigan recently shared a bittersweet story of love and loss on their Facebook page. Kela, a dog who had given birth to ten puppies at the shelter, formed a special bond with a male kitten brought in by a Good Samaritan. Despite the heartbreak of the kitten’s untimely death, the shelter celebrates the love and care Kela provided to the little feline during his short life.
The kitten arrived at the shelter in early April, abandoned and in need of help. Coincidentally, Kela, a new dog mom, had been brought to the shelter “very pregnant” in March and later gave birth to her ten puppies. Kela was staying in the shelter’s offices for privacy when the kitten was brought in for a bottle and a vet exam. Hearing the kitten’s cries, Kela could not resist her maternal instincts and immediately sought to care for the distressed feline.
Lydia Sattler, the shelter’s animal services director, shared her experience with PEOPLE, recounting how Kela was determined to be with the kitten, even trying to take him from her hands. In response, the shelter decided to place the kitten with Kela and her puppies. Kela embraced her new role, nursing, cleaning, and cuddling the kitten alongside her pups.
Sadly, the kitten passed away, and the shelter suspects a genetic condition was the cause. It’s common for mother cats to abandon kittens with genetic issues, which may have been the case for this little one. Despite the heartbreaking loss, the shelter finds solace in the love and care Kela provided the kitten in his short life.
Kela’s story serves as a reminder of the incredible capacity for love and kindness animals possess. Her love for the kitten transcended species, and she cared for him as if he were her own. Now, Kela continues to be a devoted mother to her ten puppies, who are thriving under her care.
We encourage our readers to consider adopting a pet or supporting local shelters to help animals like Kela and her adopted kitten. Every life is precious, and together, we can make a difference in the lives of animals in need. Remember, adopting a pet not only gives them a loving home but also makes room for more animals at the shelter. So, if you’re ready to welcome a new furry friend into your life, visit your local shelter and give a deserving animal a forever home.
- Coco the Kitten’s Rescue and the Power of Online Kindness
- Adorable Video of Husky Protecting New Kitten Goes Viral on TikTok
- TikTok Goes Viral of Confused Kitten Trying to Nurse From Family Dog
- Dog and Cat Decide to Co-Raise Kittens Together
- Rescue Dog Takes a Kitten into Her Litter Pack and Starts Nursing Him at Animal Shelter
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!