Studies and comparisons are showing just how nutritionally dense plant-based meat substitutes are. A new study calculated a successful aging score (SAI) among women and men and related that to their diets.
Higher SAIs were correlated with plant-based diets, leading researchers to believe that plant-based diets were better for health and aging than other diets. In the study, plant proteins were associated with lower mortality risk. A Japanese study found those plant proteins were associated with lower death risk and cardiovascular-disease related deaths.
Read more about plant-based nutrition, check out these articles:
- High Fiber Diet Protects Against Cardiovascular Disease
- 8 Foods to Help Unclog Arteries
- Plant-Based Diets Could Reduce Heart Disease and Stroke Risk
- Anti-Aging on a Plant-Based Diet
Interested in nutritional comparisons? Men’s Health compared steak and seitan in a recent study to find out which is healthier for you. They compared the nutritional components of each to figure out which is better for you. For muscle gain, seitan has 75 grams of protein per 100 grams, while steak has 25 grams of protein per 100 grams. When looking at fat, seitan has a much lower fat content than steak. Steak has 19 grams of fat, seitan only has 1.9 grams. Seitan also has a higher calcium content than steak. Seitan provides 28% iron and 6% magnesium per 100 grams, double the iron that steak provides!
Get our favorite seitan recipes, below:
- BBQ Baked Seitan Strips
- Chicken-Style Seitan
- Stuffed Seitan Roast
- How to Make Perfect Seitan
- 15 Different Ways to Make Seitan
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental health, allergies, gut health, and more! Kim Kardashian says it helps ease her psoriasis, Kelly Ripa gives credit to a plant-based diet for her youthfulness and numerous famous athletes around the world have experienced tremendous performance gains after cutting meat and dairy out of their lives.
Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. Learn about some Common Health Concerns That May Disappear Once You Ditch Dairy and 10 Calcium Supplements For Healthy Living on a Dairy-Free and 10 Carrageenan-Free Non-Dairy Products!
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Weekly Vegan Meal Plans Based on Your Nutritional and Seasonal Needs
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin K
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin E
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin D
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Calcium
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Zinc
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Vitamin C
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: Magnesium
- Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition: B Vitamins
- Plant-Based Diet and Digestion
- Plant-Based Diet and Gut Health
- Plant-Based Diet and Allergies
- Plant-Based Diet and Heart-Health
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!