Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This stuffed seitan roast is full of flavor! Just because it’s vegan doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste amazing! This roast can be made in the morning and left to cool before things get too hectic. Then just slice off the portions you need for dinner and reheat for 10 minutes until hot all the way through just before serving. This way, it frees up space in the oven and makes preparing dinner more relaxed and less overwhelming! The perfect centerpiece to Christmas, Thanksgiving, or even just a homey dinner with the family. This stuffed seitan roast is just as great during the holidays as it is during the year!
Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
For the Seitan Dough:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
For the Stuffing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu
- 3/4 cup ground mixed nuts such as walnuts and almonds, with a few chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
How to Prepare Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together the vital wheat gluten flour, nutritional yeast, pepper, and paprika in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the vegetable stock, mustard, and soy sauce the add to the dry ingredients. Mix together with your hands to form the seitan dough and knead for 4 minutes.
- Roll out dough to a 10x8-inch rectangle on top of a sheet of greaseproof paper. Lightly grease the top and place either a flat baking sheet or chopping board on top and place saucepan on top to weigh it down. Leave the dough to flatten while you prepare the stuffing.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and add the diced onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Mash up the tofu in a mixing bowl then stir in the remaining stuffing ingredients, including the cooked vegetables. Mix until well combined
- Take the chopping board/baking tray off the top of the seitan dough and place the stuffing mix along the center, long ways. Pull up the sides of the dough and fold over the stuffing until all the stuffing is enclosed inside the dough.
- Whisk up the glaze ingredients. Make a few slices across the top then brush half of the glaze across the top.
- Cover loosely with the greaseproof paper, place on a baking tray, and roast for 30 minutes. Remove, brush on remaining glaze, and return to oven for another 30 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let the seitan roast sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1862 | Total Carbs: 94 g | Total Fat: 96 g | Total Protein: 149 g | Total Sodium: 2616 g | Total Sugar: 31 g Per Serving: Calories: 466 | Carbs: 24 g | Fat: 24 g | Protein: 37 g | Sodium: 654 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.