Anytime we find a food that can relieve multiple health concerns, most of us jump on board and consume it as much as we can, right? Ginger and avocado, for example, are wonderful foods many people love and enjoy for their health benefits. Plant-based foods like some of these are stellar at preventing or treating current inflammation. They also all come with natural plant-based sources of vitamins and minerals, unlike supplements we might find on the market today.
But did you know we could use food as external medicine as well as internal?
Many of us don’t think too much about using food on our bodies when we have a rash, cut, or wound of some sort, but we should. When you think about it, why are we paying more money for bottled products that are made in a lab with chemicals, when we could just use simple foods instead, in some cases?
Why Turmeric is a Win for Your Skin
Just like avocados can help soften your skin and fight aging when used as a mask, oatmeal can help with redness and acne, and apple cider vinegar can reduce acne and dullness, turmeric can be applied to your face or on other parts of your body to reduce inflammation and help with healing. It’s particularly great for applying to heal wounds fairly quickly by making a turmeric paste. Don’t worry, it’s not hard and can be done in just seconds!
How to Make a Turmeric Paste for Wounds
So what do you need? Not much, except some ground turmeric and some type of bandage (a Band-aid would work, or you can use a bandage wrap).
To make a healing paste with turmeric: Mix 1-2 teaspoons of ground turmeric (depending on how large the wound is) with enough water to make a thick paste (generally about half the amount of turmeric you use).
Be sure to wash your hands and then apply the paste gently on the wound. (It should be pasty, so don’t expect it to look like a cream.) Once you’ve covered the infected area, place your bandage of choice over the wound. Let it sit for at least 12 hours, or up to 24. Do this for three days.
Why this works:
Turmeric not only relieves inflammation to help with pain but also aids in healing in many ways. First, it’s a natural anti-bacterial food, so it will help fight bacteria that are found on the skin when you have a wound and prevent bacteria from entering the body via the wound opening. Turmeric also helps clot the blood, so it will prevent the wound from bleeding further. Last, it helps the wound heal and treats the skin, so there will be little to no scarring and the skin will stay protected.
While some chemical-based creams could achieve this, you don’t want those chemicals sitting on your skin, since they travel to the bloodstream and end up circulating through your blood to your organs. Turmeric, however, is great for your whole body, which makes it an excellent topical medication.
One More Thing …
You can also mix turmeric with coconut oil instead of water for your paste for more healing and anti-bacterial benefits, or apply it as a face cream/mask to reduce acne, redness, or scars. Keep a small container of coconut oil and turmeric in your bathroom separate from those in your kitchen so you’re all set to go. Your skin (and body) are gonna love you for it!
- Turmeric Supplements: A Golden Addition to a Healthy Lifestyle?
- DIY Natural, Zero-Waste Turmeric Toothpaste [Video]
- How to Grow, Harvest and Use Fresh Turmeric
- DIY Turmeric Face Mask to Solve All Your Skin Problems [Video]
- 15 Savory Dishes Using Turmeric
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.