Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Avocados are a well-known source of healthy fats to include in our diets, as most people know. They’re rich in certain mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats that keep our hearts healthy, lower in cholesterol, and they even contain fiber and protein to keep us full. Avocados are one of the best anti-aging foods you can eat, but you can also use them in your beauty routine too – not just in the kitchen!
While you might not have thought to purchase this brilliant green fruit for your natural lifestyle options, you might want to reconsider that. Considering that beauty products contain chemicals that essentially end up toxifying our bodies and burdening our liver, they also likely come from companies that promote animal testing or contain animal ingredients or cost us a fortune if we buy better brands (with few exceptions). So why not just go the completely natural way and use nature to give us healthy skin?
Like coconut oil can improve your skin and remedies like apple cider vinegar and even oatmeal masks can reduce breakouts and bacteria, avocados can also benefit your skin by keeping you looking youthful and radiant.
Why Avocados Are Superstars for Your Skin
Basically, avocados are a nutrition firework just waiting to explode! Not just healthy fats, but also chlorophyll to reduce inflammation, water to hydrate, Vitamin E to promote softness and prevent wrinkles, and gentle fibers that can also help a natural mask made from avocados stick together. Avocados can be applied as a mask for your skin and you can either use them plain or mix them with other healthy ingredients.
Here are three great mask ideas:
1. Avocado Anti-Aging Mask
The oleic acid (a healthy fat) in avocados, helps reduce inflammation, lowering redness and also fighting wrinkles. Apply this avocado mask below to give avocados a shot.
- 1 ripe avocado (should be soft to the touch)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, and mix it all together in a bowl. Apply for 30 minutes. It will soften the skin and doing this nightly may just help you wake up looking more youthful every day, but don’t forget to take your makeup off with coconut oil first though!
2. Anti-Acne Youthful Avocado Mask
Lemon juice is used here, which contains acids that actually reduce bacteria and lower inflammation. It also smells rather nice too! The avocado will help prevent dryness that can lead to acne and aging, while the oats will help soak up bacteria and also reduce inflammation.
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice from one lemon
- 1-2 tbsp. rolled oats
Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, and mix it all together in a bowl. Apply for 30 minutes four times a week for the best results.
3. Indulgent Spa-Worthy Avocado Mask to Fight Aging
This mask is for those that want a spa-like treat. It features natural exfoliants that will remove dead skin cells and contain natural sources of caffeine to perk up the skin. The avocado keeps your skin soft and supple, while also adding moisture and nutrients.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp. organic coffee grounds
- 1 tsp. cocoa grounds
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, and mix it all together in a bowl (or you might want to blend this one since it contains a good bit of ingredients). Apply for 30 minutes a few days a week and remove with a cloth. (Be sure you get all those coffee grounds off or your friends might wonder why you smell like yummy chocolate and java all the time!)
Give these masks a try and remember to eat your avocados too. Avocados are a great natural dairy replacement to try, and they’re truly one of nature’s most miraculous foods you can use for so many things. You can even use them as a hair mask and natural conditioner as another beauty aid. And, at least this way, you never have to worry if you have more ripe avocados on your hands than you can handle! Choose between standard Haas (dark green/black) avocados or you can even use the larger, Florida-grown (bright green) avocados when is in season. Either way, avocados are a win. And if all else fails, there’s always guacamole, right?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!