Since your body doesn’t make vitamin B12, it’s important to make sure you get enough from your diet to stay healthy. B12 plays a role in the development of brain and nerve cells. It’s also important for boosting your energy, improving your memory, and helping prevent heart disease.
If you have a vitamin B12 deficiency, you could become anemic, and if untreated, it may lead to a variety of unwanted symptoms.
@callmedoctor.p Stay healthy with #vitaminb12 #vitaminb12deficiency #doctorperkins #femalehealth #doctorperkins #obgyndoctor #blackphysician #womenshealth ♬ Vivi Trend x No hands DJ Yames – Dj_yames
Dr. Kerry-Anne Perkins shares some common signs to look out for that may indicate you’re deficient. Heart palpitations, pale skin, a smooth tongue, nerve problems (such as numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness), and mental problems (such as depression and memory loss) are common symptoms seen in females.
The recommended daily intake of Vitamin B12 for healthy adult women is 2.4 mcg. Although it is not found naturally in most plant foods, it can be found in plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, spirulina, and some fortified cereals. You can also take B12 supplements. If you think you might be at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency, the best way to be sure is to get your blood levels tested.
- Vitamin B12: Role, Needs, Sources, and Supplements
- How to Get B12 and B-Complex Vitamins on a Vegan Diet
- #FoundersFinds: 12 Plant-Based Vitamins and Supplements That Work For Me!
- Water Lentils: The Most Bioavailable Source of B12
- 10 Vegan Vitamin B12 Supplements
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!