Ten years ago, if you’d told me I’d be in love with sea algae, I probably would have laughed and called you insane. In fact, I remember the first time I even saw and smelled spirulina, I almost lost my lunch. But keep in mind, this was before the days’ green juices and smoothies became the norm and before I knew a thing about what superfoods were.
Now I know spirulina and other algae are certainly nothing to fear. In fact, I’m such a big advocate of the sea algae I once shrugged my nose up at, that I actually have 5 reasons I believe everyone needs to use spirulina in their daily life. It’s most definitely been the number one ingredient that’s supported my plant-based diet, and I don’t even notice the taste or the smell anymore, thankfully!
Aside from spirulina, there’s another super alga that’s gained a lot of attention the last several years for its highly detoxifying properties: chlorella. Heard of it?
If you’ve ever tried a superfood powder, chances are you’ve had a taste of both spirulina and chlorella, since they’re some of the most potent superfoods on the planet. Both are high in protein (with spirulina being the highest source on Earth) and both are two of the highest sources of pure chlorophyll that exist.
But have you ever wondered which one is best out of these two awesome algae? Here are some differences are between spirulina and chlorella to help you decide which one is best for you. Let’s look at chlorella vs. spirulina.
Both are blue-green algae that are complete sources of protein, high in B vitamins, and contain detoxifying and cleansing properties. Both are also affordable and available by pills or powders. Spirulina is even one of my top recommended superfoods to buy on a budget.
Chlorella is a single-cell alga, yet it grows much faster than spirulina and can quadruple its size in just 20 hours! Chlorella is especially well-known to help boost healthy cell growth, regenerate tissues in the body, and even help repair severe immune deficiencies. It’s a common favorite ingredient used among vegan athletes, along with spirulina, because of its ability to repair torn muscle cells after a hard workout.
Spirulina is also high in growth-like properties, known to aid in heart health, digestive health, longevity, boost brain health, and is richer in Vitamin B12 than chlorella, containing over 150% of your daily values. It is also high in magnesium, zinc, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K. A superb energy booster, spirulina is an awesome food to improve your workouts!
How to Choose
I’d suggest going with chlorella if you’re looking for algae strictly for cleansing and rebuilding the blood or immune system. If you’re looking for a still detoxifying, cleansing option with higher amounts of protein, iron, and Vitamin B12, then choose spirulina. Even better – use them both!
Want More Algae Info and Inspiration?
Check out: Seaweed Decoded: Why It’s Essential on A Vegan Diet and all of our Superfood Recipes using spirulina and other awesome superfood goodies!
Never had algae? Make The Ultimate Spirulina Smoothie containing both chlorella and spirulina; you’ll be a convert in no time!
- Chlorella! Health Benefits and Product Picks
- Blue-green Algae: Health Benefits, Uses and Product Picks
- This Company is Developing Red Microalgae that Makes Plant-Based Meat Bleed
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.