This slaughterhouse was one of the largest in the country. Supplying meat from 2,000 dogs each year, the slaughterhouse received dogs from pets, strays or dogs traded for supplies. In Cambodia, three million dogs are estimated to be used for meat each year in the country.
Ten dogs that were being kept in a small cage were rescued from the operation. The animals will receive medical treatment and then will be put up for adoption to find safe homes. The animals were brought to FOUR PAWS partner Animal Rescue Cambodia.
Dr Katherine Polak, veterinarian and Head of FOUR PAWS Stray Animal Care in Southeast Asia, said of the rescue, “We are so relieved to put an end to an operation which caused the needless suffering of so many animals. The rescued dogs were in heartbreaking conditions. The two dogs that sat in the tiny cage for more than two years could barely walk due to severe muscle atrophy of their legs.”
FOUR PAWS also worked with the former owner of slaughterhouse to escape the dog trade. Following months of discussions with FOUR PAWS, and a business plan, he is now set up with with a rice and vegetable trade using his newly-owned rice field. In return, he pledged to never return to his former career. According to FOUR PAWS, he was “desperate to get out of the dog meat trade,” and asked for help with a new career.
Watch this video on the rescue:
Sign this petition by FOUR PAWS to end the dog meat trade in Cambodia.
Read more about the horrors of the dog meat trade below:
- Video of Dog Being Force Fed Drain Water to Fatten Him Up For Sale in Dog Meat Trade
- Humane Society Shuts Down Dog Meat Farm That Was Also a Puppy Mill
- Online Platform Is Helping Chinese Citizens Combat the Illegal Dog Meat Trade!
- Ricky Gervais Shares Heartfelt Video to Raise Awareness About the Yulin Dog Meat Festival
- Investigation: Inside A Horrific Dog Meat Farm Run by Korea’s Dog Farmers Association
- Simon Cowell Just Made a Large Contribution to Help Shut Down a Dog Meat Farm in South Korea
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!