People fight for the things that they love. As Green Monsters, we can indefinitely say that this is true and that it is our love for the planet and the many species that call it home that fuels our passion for protecting these things. Whether you find yourself lending your voice to trees or the oceans many creatures, the stronger the connection you have with these amazing natural creations, the more you feel inclined – if not obligated – to stand up on their behalf.
While many humans might like to believe we’re the only living beings on this planet that matter, we are seeing the negative consequences of this belief more and more. Within our lifetimes we have seen the ice caps start to melt due to an influx of greenhouse gas emissions, we have seen the lush rainforests of the world reduced to empty fields and palm plantations; and we have seen over 50 percent of all wildlife vanish from the face of the earth.
For a person who loves the natural world, these losses are devastating. But just as humans have the power to destroy all these natural wonders, we also have to power to protect and conserve them. More than ever, it is crucial that we stand up in defense of what we love: our planet. While not everyone may be inclined to take such a stand for the planet, we each can do our part, every day, by making more conscious choices. Even the smallest bit helps! Be sure not to buy products with palm oil and eat more plant-based foods instead of animal products to start!
1. The people of Collingwood Bay stand up against palm oil.
2. Yamuna Waterkeepers block a coal freight in Minakshi Arora, Delhi, India.
3. Protesters against Pacific Northwest Coal Exports
4. Community stands up to protect the rainforest on the Big Island in Puna, Hawaii from the development of geothermal energy sources.
5. Baguio citizens stand up in protest of the expansion of a mall parking lot in Luneta Hill in the Philippines.
6. Marshall Islands Climate Warriors take a stand against climate change.
7. Activists protest logging of old-growth forests in Tasmania
8. Protesters hold a tree sit in opposition to the Keystone XL Pipeline
9. Citizens of Colombo City, Sri Lanka protest the felling of trees in the city.
10. Fiji’s Climate Warriors take a stand for the future stability of their nation.
11. Three thousand students and teachers at the Ryan International School in New Delhi illustrate the “Elephant in the room”– climate change.
12. Protestors in Sydney, Australia.
Can’t you just feel positive action for the planet coming? So Green Monsters, have participated in a protest for the planet? We want to see your picture!