Animal rights activists in Canada are angry after it was revealed that Canadian companies purchased 1,000 monkeys for animal testing from Cambodia, according to the National Post. Activists argue the country should not be supporting inhumane breeders.
In 2020, the government approved the import of 1,056 macaques from Cambodia for “scientific and research” use in the country. Documents show that many of these were brought on behalf of Charles River Laboratories, a company notorious for its animal testing.
“There have been very serious welfare concerns raised about the living conditions of these monkeys in Cambodia and nearby countries, as well as concerns about misleading information being provided from sellers over there. And I think for Canada to be complicit in that is potentially quite concerning,” said Camille Labchuk, an animal rights lawyer and executive director for advocacy group Animal Justice, in the National Post.
“My biggest concern about animal research in Canada, and specifically this situation, is that it’s completely non transparent, and not overseen by public authorities,” Labchuk said.
Animal testing is a useless and unethical part of scientific research, the testing is found to be ineffective, as 95% of drugs that pass animal tests fail on humans. Numerous companies are standing up against animal testing and recently the USDA made a decision to eliminate some mammalian testing by 2025 but there’s more to be done and it’s time countries ban animal experimentation altogether as it hurts humans as well.
Sign this petition to stop animal testing!
- Lab Monkeys Have Holes Drilled in their Skulls at Belgian University
- Monkey Strangled to Death in California Lab
- Retired Monkeys Step Outside for the First Time After Spending Their Entire Lives in a Lab
- Rand Paul Calls Out Wasteful Spending of U.S. Taxpayer Money on Animal Testing
- Dog Breeders are Selling Unwanted Puppies to Animal Testing Labs
- Various Animal Testing Violations Found at Government Labs
- 5 Extremely Unnecessary and Inhumane Experiments Done on Animals
- Veterans Affairs Under Fire For Spending Over $8 Million in Taxpayer Money on Horrific Cat Experiments for Medical Research
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!