Zaalouk is a Moroccan salad, also popular throughout the Maghreb, which is often prepared with roasted eggplant that is mashed up with spices. Sometimes this roasted eggplant salad is prepared with zucchini, carrot, or pumpkin. It is often served with flatbread at the beginning of the meal as a salad or dip but it can also accompany veggie kebabs or tagines. This version is seasoned with cumin and paprika, giving it a warm, smoky flavor.
Zaalouk: Moroccan Eggplant Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to grill setting.
- Cut eggplants in half and brush with olive oil, then broil until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Dice the tomatoes and sauté on high heat in olive oil. Add minced garlic, cumin, and paprika.
- Dice the eggplants (with or without the skin) and finely chop the parsley, then add to the tomatoes.
- Keep stirring and cook until eggplant is tender for about 15 to 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle olive oil and add a pinch of cayenne.