This wholesome winter power bowl combines whole grain rice, hearty lentils, roasted sweet potato, and leafy green kale to create a meal that'll leave you feeling full and satisfied. It's a wonderful balance of nutrient-dense carbohydrates, vegetables, healthy fats, and protein, balanced out with a zesty, creamy lemon-tahini dressing. This makes a great lunch that'll keep you full until dinner, or post-workout meal that'll help your body recover.
Wholesome Winter Power Bowl With Sweet Potato, Kale, and Lemon-Tahini Dressing [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup uncooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Lemon-Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a medium saucepan, combine lentils and rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for 35-40 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- While the rice and lentils are cooking, preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil and 1/4 of sea salt, and spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender and golden on the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a small sauté pan. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add kale and sauté a few minutes more, until wilted.
- Make the lemon-tahini dressing by whisking together the tahini and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Choose two of your favorite bowls, and evenly divide the cooked rice and lentils, the sweet potato, and the kale, among the two bowls. Drizzle with lemon-tahini dressing, and serve.
You may soak your rice and lentils in a medium bowl with water for 8 hours or overnight then drain and rinse well. If you choose to soak them, reduce the cooking water to 1 cup.