Irish soda bread is leavened with baking soda instead of yeast, using buttermilk to activate the baking soda. It is a wonderful and versatile homemade bread that you can enjoy however you like.
Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread [Vegan]
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 apple, diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine non-dairy milk and white vinegar and stir. Let rest for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the 'buttermilk' to the flour mixture and knead until the dough comes together. Fold in chopped apples.
- Form dough into a round and place in a lightly floured dutch oven or on a sheet pan lined with parchment. Use a paring knife to score an X into the center of the loaf 1/4-inch deep. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on the outside and a toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the inside.
- Serve warm and slathered in jam.
- Whole Wheat