This chocolate banana cake is dense, moist and fudge-y thanks to the addition of mashed banana, with the amazing flavor of real banana and chocolate infused in every crumb. It’s the next generation of banana bread, with the sweetness of banana and caramel-like coconut sugar helping to balance the natural bitterness of cacao or cocoa powder. To be honest, you can even skip the homemade chocolate syrup, as the cake is fantastic enough without this extra flourish. For chocoholics like me, however, it’s a must. Pouring the melted coconut oil, cacao and maple syrup combo over the top elevates this cake from tea-time to me-time!
Whole Grain Banana Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Syrup [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 vegan egg replacers of choice (such as flax, chia, or commercial)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-spelt flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced lengthways
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple or agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Grease and line a 7-inch round springform cake tin and put aside.
- Place sugar and coconut oil or butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Add banana, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well combined.
- Whisk flours, baking powder, spices, and sea salt together and then slowly add to bowl of stand mixer while running. Mix until only just folded in and then pour into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cook for five minutes before removing from tin. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To serve, combine cacao powder, coconut oil and maple syrup in a small bowl and then melt together over a pot of simmering water. Place cake on a plate or serving platter and pour over melted chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.