Get your grill ready for these Portobello mushroom burgers! The whisky marinade, full of warm spices, makes these burgers perfect for any time of the year. They're served alongside some grilled peppers and tucked into seeded rolls with mixed baby leaves, avocado, and a drizzle of light tahini.
Whisky Portobello Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into quarters
- 2 seeded rolls
For the Whisky Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons whisky
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons mushroom ketchup or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
For the Optional Toppings:
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- A handful baby lettuce leaves
- Add the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Place the portobello mushrooms in a large dish and pour over the marinade, making sure that all sides of the mushrooms are well-covered. Set aside.
- Heat up your grill or griddle pan to a medium-high heat. Place the mushrooms and peppers on the grill and cook for around ten minutes, turning if required. If you are using a plate grill, there may be no need to turn and if you are using a griddle pan then you will need to turn halfway.
- Once they are cooked through and lightly chargrilled, you can begin to build your burgers. Place the lettuce leaves in the bread, followed by the peppers, two mushrooms, tahini sauce, and avocado. Serve.