Get your grill ready for these Portobello mushroom burgers! The whisky marinade, full of warm spices, makes these burgers perfect for any time of the year. They're served alongside some grilled peppers and tucked into seeded rolls with mixed baby leaves, avocado, and a drizzle of light tahini.
Whisky Portobello Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Whisky Portobello Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into quarters
- 2 seeded rolls
For the Whisky Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons whisky
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons mushroom ketchup or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
For the Optional Toppings:
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- A handful baby lettuce leaves
How to Prepare Whisky Portobello Mushroom Burgers [Vegan]
- Add the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Place the portobello mushrooms in a large dish and pour over the marinade, making sure that all sides of the mushrooms are well-covered. Set aside.
- Heat up your grill or griddle pan to a medium-high heat. Place the mushrooms and peppers on the grill and cook for around ten minutes, turning if required. If you are using a plate grill, there may be no need to turn and if you are using a griddle pan then you will need to turn halfway.
- Once they are cooked through and lightly chargrilled, you can begin to build your burgers. Place the lettuce leaves in the bread, followed by the peppers, two mushrooms, tahini sauce, and avocado. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.