Who says vegans can’t have cheese balls? Seriously, these are very, very cheese-like. You don’t have to form them into balls, of course, but what a presentation! At a cocktail party or get-together, take your sophistication game up a notch with this dish. Besides crackers, this also tastes amazing crumbled over a green salad, or as a sandwich spread!
Walnut and Currant “Veganzola” Balls [Vegan]
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup walnut pieces, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup currants
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, crumble your tofu until it resembles ricotta cheese.
- Add in olive oil, flax seed mixture, miso, garlic and liquid smoke. Mash together until uniform.
- Mix in walnut pieces and currants.
- Form into two equal balls, form into a log, or simply place in a bowl.