Vegetable millet casserole - a healthy and delicious one-dish meal with celery and carrots. This recipe only takes a few ingredients to create a fresh and delicious dinner! Spicy, aromatic, and creamy - this tastes like the perfect thing to pop into the oven on a fall evening.
Vegetable Millet Casserole [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Casserole:
- 1/3 cup of dry millet
- 3 1/2 cups of grated celery
- 1 cup of grated carrots
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 5 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1 handful of cashews, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- Chili flakes, pepper, and salt to taste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
To Make the Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 1/3 unsweetened, almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Prepare millet according to the instructions and place aside.
- Cook the onion in a pan with a little water or oil for a few minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and sautée for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add water as needed.
- Stir in almond butter, cashew nuts, mustard, turmeric, dried herbs, chili, pepper, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, add almond milk and parsley and stir well.
- Grease a medium-sized baking dish and fill with the mixture.
- For the cheese sauce, pour the almond milk into a small pot.
- Then add the yeast flakes, mustard, turmeric, and salt. Once it boils, add starch and stir everything quickly until the sauce becomes thick.
- Add the cheese sauce over the mixture and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F for about 25 minutes. Be careful not to burn the casserole topping.
Best served still hot, but it also tastes lukewarm or cold.