This dish is creamy, tomato goodness! The meatiness of the tempeh adds great texture and the coconut gives it a delicious creamy base. Serve this up over rice or your choice of carb.
Tempeh Tikka Masala [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2-pounds tempeh
- 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 2, 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1, 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons sweet curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons each garlic, onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh basil or cilantro to serve
- Start your rice (or carb of choice).
- Start with the tempeh. If it's store-bought, boil it for about 15-inch stock.
- Then pan-fry in some canola oil on medium/high-heat: 5 minutes/side. Remove and drain on paper.
- Then get on to the sauce! Two cans of diced tomatoes go right into your food processor until well-pureed. Set them aside.
- Then get a hot skillet going (canola and sesame oil) and sauté your onions, garlic, and ginger until browned.
- Next add your tomatoes, coconut milk, and spices. Stir it all about, and get a low simmer on for a few minutes.
- Serve over that rice with some fresh greens. Feel free to add in broccoli or any vegetables you have on-hand during the process.