Vegan tempeh reubens seem to be a real staple at vegan restaurants (and restaurants offering vegan options), and for good reason. Who doesn't love a reuben!? Throw some rye bread, sauerkraut, special sauce, and some tasty tempeh in there? Yes, please! Just make some sweet potato fries and you have a meal that is packed with protein, full of healthy probiotics, and so delicious!
Tempeh Reuben With Sweet Potato Fries [Vegan]
To Make the Tempeh:
- 1 package tempeh
- 1/2 cup beer and 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or 1 cup of either)
- 1/8 tsp garlic, onion, black pepper
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos (you can substitute soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
To Make the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2-3 teaspoons spicy relish, to taste
To Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Rye bread
- Sauerkraut (you'll want a cup or 2, depending on the number of sandwiches)
- Olive or canola oil for frying
To Make the Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
To Make the Sandwiches:
- Mix up all of the marinade ingredients into a shallow bowl or baking pan. Add the tempeh and allow it to soak in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better (up to overnight).
- Combine ketchup and mayonnaise in a tiny bowl and whisk together, then stir in the relish to make your special sauce.
- Now you're ready to fry! If you have a large skillet, now is the time to pull it out. Pre-heat the skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Throw those tempeh strips on the skillet. Sauté each side of the tempeh until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add some splashes of marinade from time to time to moisten and add flavor. Add more oil as needed, especially if you need to add the tempeh to your pan in batches. Once the tempeh is done, place your rye bread in the pan to toast! It will soak up a little bit of that tempeh goodness, too.
- Once your bread is looking as toasty as you like it, it's time to remove it from the pan and assemble your sandwich! Place a good healthy dose of the special sauce on both slices of bread, then pile that sauerkraut high, add your tempeh, and enjoy!
To Make the Fries:
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Chop your potatoes into fry wedges.
- Then, toss in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Bake for 15 minutes then give them a stir.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or so, until beginning to brown. (This recipe makes slightly softer fries, if you prefer crispy, you can ramp up the temperature to 425°F).