Mushroom broth is not only delicious, but incredibly easy to prepare. With just four simple ingredients, you have yourself a nutritious and healthy addition to yours soups, stews, rice, and beans.
4-Ingredient Mushroom Broth [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10-ounces of mushrooms, ( some good choices shiitake, portobello, button) thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek, white part only, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 8 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (must be parchment)
- Scatter mushrooms, leeks and garlic on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Using a spatula loosen the mushrooms and leeks off the parchment paper and set aside.
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil. Add thyme and mushroom mixture, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes. Strain broth.
You can season the broth with salt and pepper to taste if you wish, or wait until you are actually using it in a recipe. The broth freezes well up to 6 months.