Teff, Ethiopia’s ancient grain, gives this stew a hearty creaminess, but the secret is the spice mixture—sweet, warming and just a tad spicy. It may sound cheesy, but when that allspice hits the pan, take a minute to inhale it deeply. It’s such a warming, comforting blend and a reminder to enjoy the process, not just scurry to achieve the outcome.
Teff Ethiopian-Style Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Teff Ethiopian-Style Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried harissa seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup uncooked teff
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh herbs, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
How to Prepare Teff Ethiopian-Style Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan; swirl to coat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, harissa, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper and salt and let cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Add the teff and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers and the crushed tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini, and give the mix a good stir. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until the zucchini and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the garbanzo beans, peanut butter, lemon juice and salt. Let the garbanzo beans warm through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, garnish with fresh herbs such as rosemary or cilantro and serve with a lemon wedge.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 404 | Carbs: 63 g | Fat: 12 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 720 mg | Sugar: 7 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.