These sweet potato bean burgers are filling, flavorful, and a breeze to make! You simply bake some sweet potatoes until tender, add soft butter beans, mash, sauté, bake, and serve. You could add in other healthy ingredients like brown rice, cooked buckwheat, or hemp seeds, to up the nutrition. This particular burger is topped with avocado slices, plenty of greens, tomato, and pickles, but feel free to get creative!
Sweet Potato Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and baked
- 1 15-ounce can white butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped into tiny chunks
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small chia egg (1/2 tablespoon chia seeds, plus 1-2 tablespoons filtered water, let soak for 5 minutes)
- 1 lime or 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- A handful of fresh coriander, cilantro, or parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 cup finely chopped greens
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for cooking
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a 350°F oven until tender. If you are in a rush you can also cook them, but they will be less flavorful.
- Add the sweet potatoes and beans to a large bowl. Use a fork to mash well. Add the onion and keep mashing. Add all the remaining ingredients and mash more.
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add the coconut oil.
- With the potato-bean mixture, form burgers in the size you wish and place on the hot skillet. Sauté 2-3 minutes on each side, just to brown them. Repeat with all the mixture.
- Place the burgers now on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve the burgers warm with avocado, tomato, greens, and vegan mayonnaise.