With the first bite of these sweet pea millet cakes, you'll have a ballet of flavor dancing across your tongue – they're so tasty, you may do a little jig of joy yourself. The hearty millet and tender sweet peas are blended with raw sunflower seeds and some herbs of your choosing and then, formed into patties and fried golden-brown. Then, they're served with a dollop of homemade garlic aioli and garnished with some chopped chives.
Sweet Pea Millet Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Millet Cakes:
- 1 cup uncooked millet plus 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet peas, shelled
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs of your choosing
- 3 small cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Coconut oil, for pan frying
For the Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons garlic vegan mayonnaise
- A drizzle of sweetener of choice
- A splash orange juice
- Dried red chilis to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add millet, turn down to a simmer, and cook it for 30-45 minutes or until the water is absorbed. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the shelled sweet peas.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with an s blade, add the sunflower seeds and the garlic and pulse them a few times.
- Add cooked millet and peas, blend them until mixture begins to form a paste.
- Add orange juice slowly as the processor is running.
- Add in the sea salt in the same manner.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Use a generous 1/2 cup of the mixture to form patties.
- Add a bit of coconut oil to the pan, enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add 4-5 patties to the pan or as many as you can without crowding them.
- Cook them until the bottom is golden brown, flip them, and repeat this. Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined baking sheet, keep warm in a 338°F oven. Repeat the process until all the patties are cooked.
- To make the aioli, combined all ingredients in a blender or small processor and blend them until they're smooth and well combined.
- Serve the cakes over pea shoots with a dollop of aioli on each cake. Garnish the with chives or other fresh herbs.